<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Monday, January 31, 2005
Token Gesture

Remember when Willard Mitt said "From now on, it's me, me, me"? (source: Boston Globe, 1/4/2005)

We think he was mis-quoted.

Back when he was just the Fraud Candidate, Romney said, "I believe the people in the Commonwealth deserve to have someone like me in their corner. I believe I can be an effective governor. And I believe the people of Massachusetts deserve to have someone who is a capable manager and leader, and I think I fill that need."

In other words, "from now on, it's I, I, I."

Last week Romney showed his effectiveness as the leader of the Massachusetts economy when it was announced that Boston-based Gillette was being taken over by Ohio-based Proctor & Gamble in a move that could cost upwards of 6,000 jobs. (source: BBC, 1/28/2005).

The Fraud Governor's response? "I understand that there are going to be a lot of job losses. That's very unfortunate. I wish I had the power to prevent this acquisition from occurring. I don't." (source: Boston Herald, 1/29/2005)

That's it? "I wish I had the power to prevent this acquisition ... I don't"?

See what we mean about that "I" thing?

Although it does make us wonder what happened to the the guy who promised he would be the state's top-salesman. (Looks like his Vietnam-era tour of France had an impact.)

This is not to say Romney didn't take action.

In fact, he held a citizens rally.

For the New England Patriots.

Let's recap. One of the state's major employers is getting taken over by an out-of-state concern, so Romney decides to fight-back by holding a football rally?

It gets better.

As was first pointed out by our friends at BadTransit, to announce the event, the flack formerly known as the stout, Reese Witherspoon-wannabe dye-job aide to Romney’s $150,000-a-year loathsome spokesman issued a wheezing statement that "the MBTA will run a commuter rail train from Boston and Providence to the stadium that will be free of charge. Trains will leave South Station and Providence Station at 8:15 AM and arrive at Foxboro at 9:20 and 9:15 AM, respectively. Return trains will depart Foxboro Station approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the send-off." (source: office of (fraud) gov, "Romney invites fans to cheer on Pats at New England send-off," 1/28/2005)

Free public trains for football fans, in this, what Team Reform has called the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

So what was the public policy behind this largess?

Who cares? Use it to your benefit. The next time you find yourself short of T-fare, just pull-out a Pom-Pom and sashay through the turnstyle with a breezy "Go Pats."

Tell 'em Fraudo owes you a free trip.

It's the least that Romney can do.

Google

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?